Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tiny Neutrinos and Giant Supernovae

I'm Rebecca, a second year grad student at the University of Denver.  I study Planetary Nebulae, which are late-life intermediate-mass stars.  I'm specifically interested in how the material around these stars is is shaped.

Right now I'm working on my Comprehensive Exam (writing a paper on a topic outside of my normal research area) which focuses on neutrino oscillations.  In the early stages of my research (in which I was trying to just get the hang of neutrinos in general), I ran across this pretty neat article from the xkcd team.  It talks about neutrino doses from supernovae (in a really user-friendly, cartoony way) and is a pretty interesting reminder of just how inconsequential neutrinos are to our bodies, and just how giant supernovae are.  Enjoy!

http://what-if.xkcd.com/73/



2 comments:

  1. I love this, especially "The detonation of a hydrogen bomb pressed against your eyeball". Make sure to read the mouseover text on all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how fast the feather would have to be going to knock you down??

    ReplyDelete