Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Images of scientists

I was thinking about the subject matter for my new post. And I came across the blog post that is linked below.
http://scienceblogs.com/framing-science/2010/05/05/reconsidering-the-image-of-sci/
This blog is talking about how the image of scientists is changing in movies and television over time. It is a very interesting blog that talks about how the scientists are shown more in positive light in present cinema and television. So I thought that I should compare characters from two of my favourite comedy series.
 First I want to talk about very popular show The big bang theory.

It is one of the popular comedy series running right now. I admit I love this show and I watch it regularly. But let's think about the characters in the show. I understand since it is a comedy show, you portray the characters as funny as you could make. However, since this show is popular among masses, it is conforming the stereotypes we already have about the scientists. The show consist of six scientists and one waitress. All the six scientists are socially awkward, although the intensity is different. None of them are good at communicating. They have no social life other than video games and sci-fi movies. It is very difficult for them to find any date. These things are conforming the stereotypes we already have. Well I know many of you might think why this even matter. I wanted to talk about this because the article I have linked below talks about why there are so few women in sciences. There are many interesting stuffs in it. One thing I remember after reading this article was that some woman was scared to say she was a physics major. She thought she might not get a date after that.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/why-are-there-still-so-few-women-in-science.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&
I guess once you are matured enough these stuffs doesn't matter, but for younger generation who are deciding what to study in college these things are important. Lets admit most of us want to look good or at least normal most of the time.
Now I want to talk about the character Ross in the show Friends.

Ross is a palaeontologist in the show. His character is very nerdy but at the same time he is very normal person. He has passion for the work he does, and will jump into discussion with friends about the science he loves. But he also jokes, goes out and date people. As in the image he is very excited about the tie with dinosaurs. I feel I can relate to his character much more than any one character of the big bang theory. Even though we love our work and act crazy sometimes, we are normal most of the time.
 It would be so much better if scientists were  portrayed more as Ross rather than a character of The big bang theory. This would help to get rid of the stereotypes we have and also encourage lots of younger people to study science in general.
Here are some links to videos from the two television shows to differentiate the portrayal of characters and for some laughs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS-ameyp9Ag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXr2kF0zEgI


Which is your favourite scientist television character?

No comments:

Post a Comment