Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bill Nye the science guy vs creationism

I guess many of you heard about the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham.

I have linked the video below.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI
It is a debate of evolution vs creationism. Now it is sad that we still need to have this debate. When I heard this the first thing that came to my mind was, why  Bill Nye was doing it? I felt that this will give many people a viewpoint that evolution is a debatable topic. Still I decided to watch it.
Then I thought for some time and realized how important it is to have these debates. In CNN they talked about the same debate and showed a poll where 33% people in the US don't believe in evolution. While looking for information regarding this kind of debate, I found the gallup poll.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx

In the  poll you can see still 46% of people believe that man was created in the current form. There are many such surprising results in the poll. So we can see still many people do not believe in evolution.
 I think most confusion arises due to the way words are used in scientific community and in general language. For example people think that scientific theory means something that is not a fact. Like hypothesis we propose in science. So it is important for a famous person like Bill Nye to convey these differences or at least try to do so. I thought Bill Nye did good job in this debate. If you listen to the debate, he never tried to attack a belief system, he just presented the facts regarding evolution to the general public. He gave good examples to prove evolution and age of earth. He tried to convince those 46% to at least think about scientifically proven theory of evolution and age of the earth.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not saying I agree completely with this version of the creationist theory, but I do feel I need to say that I personally choose to be a person of science and a person of faith. I do not feel it is out-dated or medieval to choose to be both, but it is a personal choice. We need to be careful about being degrading about this, simply because someone would make the choice to adhere to this philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and I felt Bill Nye did a good job on not attacking any people personal belief system.

    ReplyDelete